Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Grateful Dead is `divinely Inspired`!

Sometimes The lights all shining on me,
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long strange trip it's been

Before yeshiva turned me off the derech, I was a follower of the Grateful Dead. I loved their sweet sound, and it really lifted my spirit. But after being brain washed in yeshiva, I stopped listening to them. I was taught that everything that wasn't Torah was bad, especially rock and roll music. There was even a baal tshuva in my yeshiva who was a former dead head. He warned me what a bad influence the dead has on a person's spiritual path. I guess I took this all to heart and I gave up my beloved dead. Looking back I realize how stupid I was for buying in to all that nonsense. But what can you say? I was a young idealistic student who wanted to reach the highest level I could and I wasn't going to let anything stand in my way.

I had almost completely gave up on the Dead. But recently I had an idea, which I can only call a revelation. I began to think about the enormous success that the Dead had. Here was this small band from nowhere, who gained a fanatic following for over thirty years. Thirty years in the rock and roll business is almost like 3000 years in any other business. What can account for this amazing success of this modest rag tag hippie band?

The only answer I can think of is that Jerry Garcia and the rest of the band were divinely inspired. My personal experience that I feel from listening to their music and their enormous success points to the conclusion that their music contains some real divine truth.

Now, I know there will be some skeptical types that will say that there is some simple natural explanations for their success. Maybe it's Jerry's sweet voice, or the way that the whole band seems to play as one in beautiful harmony. But all I can say to those skeptics is that you got to experience it for yourself to see the real truth and grooviness of the Dead. Once you let the sound enter your heart and soul, you will for sure see for yourself the divine inspiration of the band.

And I know that some will point out that the Rolling Stones are still playing. But its clear to all the Stones are over the hill and are just doing it for money. I mean did you see Mick Jagger shake his wrinkly ass at the super bowl show? It was embarrassing, really. There is no comparison between the Dead and the Stones.

Trust me, rabbosai, It's all about experience That's the secret.

I even recall some Dead heads testify that they saw a huge eye above the band as they played in concert. Sure, they were probably tripping on acid at the time, but still there maybe something too it. You never know. It's not like you can disprove it.

Unfortunately, Jerry has passed on now, so you can't experience it live anymore. That's too bad, but luckily we still have the live performances on tape, so we can pass it on to our children. Thank God for that.

Now excuse me while I go and experience some of that divine grooviness for myself

14 Comments:

Blogger M-n said...

Brilliant. GH?

7:04 PM  
Blogger M-n said...

BTW, Phish is the gilgul. :-)

7:04 PM  
Blogger B. Spinoza said...

Thanks, Mis-nagid. I was listening to the dead and this post just flowed out of me. I guess you can call it divinely inspired.

GH is my evil twin. we were separated at birth. Or am I his evil twin? Whatever.

Phish? They don't come close to the original.

8:35 PM  
Blogger M-n said...

Gilguls rarely do. You should know, Mr "Spinoza." ;-)

9:12 PM  
Blogger B. Spinoza said...

ouch. I agree totally. :)

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feh!

Now if you had said Pink Floyd or Supertramp I might have agreed with you.

11:14 PM  
Blogger B. Spinoza said...

I like Floyd. Don't know much about Supertramp, though. It's great to watch floyd live. They put on a real show. But the Dead are way more spiritual

12:04 AM  
Blogger M-n said...

"But the Dead are way more spiritual"

You sick, sick kofer.

12:18 AM  
Blogger B. Spinoza said...

You think Pink Floyd is more spiritual? No way, man. You just got to experience the dead to understand

12:34 AM  
Blogger B. Spinoza said...

oh, I see what you meant now. Like worshipping the non-living? I get it

12:36 AM  
Blogger M-n said...

No, I actually meant the first way! I *lived* on Floyd for a looong time.

12:52 AM  
Blogger B. Spinoza said...

did you see Floyd live? It really is a great show

1:07 AM  
Blogger M-n said...

Seen a show? Me an' Waters made out backstage.

1:08 AM  
Blogger B. Spinoza said...

Heh. I saw them in 94. Too bad Waters wasn't there. Still, it did rock

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home