Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I've Always Been a Little Odd

It's true, I never was like most people. There was always something different about me. For a long time I resented it. But I have since grown to appreciate the differences that make me who I am.

An example of this that sticks out in my mind is the time when I went to sleep away camp. If you've ever been there you know that at the end of the summer they each camper gets an award for something they excelled at. Most campers got awards in a sport of some kind. But for those of us who didn't care for sports, and weren't very good at it, they had to give us something lame to make up for it. Most of the time, I got the "Best in Middos" consolation award, which basically means best in character.

But one year I got something different. They announced that I got the "Most profound camper" award. At the time I didn't even know the meaning of the word profound. I thought it was a joke, or even worse, an insult. I was pissed off at my counselors for giving me such a lame award. What could they be thinking? Was I that lame?

But when I got older and realized what it meant, and I learned the value of thinking, I was real proud of myself for receiving that award. Hell, I still am. I'd much rather be "the most profound", than "the best in basketball". Especially in a Jewish camp; Let's face it Jews are known more for their mind, than their athletic ability :)

So thank you counselors (I don't even remember their names anymore) for being so kind and thoughtful. I will always remember that lame-ass award.

I have no idea why I even mention this story. But I hope you found it somewhat interesting.

8 Comments:

Blogger Orthoprax said...

Spinoza,

To note, I was never much into the sports thing either. In camp I got the Chinuch award. ;-) I think the rabbi gave me a book.

1:33 AM  
Blogger free-thinking lamden said...

Good post.

I was the same. Awfull at team sports but a thinker for as long as I can rememeber.

I have often wondered what makes some people into thinkers while others simply accept the status quo. The funny thing is that from a very young age I would try to hang around adults that now I know were 'thinkers'. Why did I do that?

4:42 AM  
Blogger The Jewish Freak said...

It sounds like you are a kindred "freak" - JF

8:23 AM  
Blogger M-n said...

Now I feel like the odd man out for having been good at sports. ;-).

3:11 PM  
Blogger B. Spinoza said...

Mis-nagid,

I herby challenge you to an arm wrestle!

3:40 PM  
Blogger M-n said...

No thanks. How about a speed-reading contest? :-)

12:06 AM  
Blogger B. Spinoza said...

I'm afraid I would lose that. I'm a pretty slow reader.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Chana said...

Ha! I was told that if I were on OD (basically, lights out duty at camp) I would spend my time having DMCs (deep meaningful conversations) with campers.


Interesting...

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home