Thursday, December 22, 2005

The God of my Childhood

My concept of God through the years have changed a lot. One early memory I have thinking about God was as a child, watching a bubble gum commercial about this blond girl in tight jeans who started chewing gum and blowing large bubbles. And as the bubbles grew in size, she also grew, until she grew so tall that she was walking on top of the earth. And I remember thinking to myself "oh, so that must be what God is like", a blond haired girl in tight jeans blowing big bubbles while walking on top of the earth. It all made sense to me at the time. I wonder if this is how most people think of God as a child, or is it just me?

2 Comments:

Blogger Orthoprax said...

I don't remember doing much thinking about the nature of God as a kid. Though I do remember that I generally conceived of God as a perfect being that had no physical form and existed outside the universe and throughout the universe. And when he spoke or did anything in the Torah interacting with man, it was that he "concentrated" his essence, almost like a thickening mist, so that he could be identified in a place. As a kid, I don't think I ever envisioned God except abstractly, certainly not as anthropomorphically as your example.

2:13 PM  
Blogger B. Spinoza said...

so your God didn't wear tight jeans, huh?

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home