Sunday, December 04, 2005

Taking Tanach Seriously

I found a good free online resource for understanding Tanach using modern scholarship techniques. I haven't read it fully yet, but it looks promising.

One of my goals is to study Tanach seriously. I did not have a real opportunity to study it while I was learning in Yeshivah. If you're not familiar with the modern Yeshivah system, it may come as a surprise to you that they don't do a very good job at studying Tanach. The focus is almost completely on Talmud. You are expected to learn Tanach on your own. And it goes with out saying that modern biblical scholarship is off limits in the Orthodox Yeshivah system.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jewish Atheist said...

Great link, thanks. :) And welcome to blog-land.

12:30 AM  
Blogger yoinoson schreiber said...

Hatzlocho with you’re new blog. I for one am very interested in the subjects raised.

Could you elaborate a little on what u mean by 'seriously'?

5:46 AM  
Blogger B. Spinoza said...

Thanks for the welcome, guys

>Could you elaborate a little on what u mean by 'seriously'?

sure, maybe I'll write a post on it.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home